FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
1. Am I or my child eligible for the BACHAO Ambassador program?
Any student in 10th-12th grade is welcome to apply for the Ambassador program. Younger students will not be accepted into the program, simply because the level of commitment may be too high for them to comfortably match. Students who will be in 10th grade or higher during the 2017-2018 school year are welcome to apply to be an Ambassador in 2017. Prior volunteer experience is preferred but not required for entry into the Ambassador program.
2. What are the expectations of the BACHAO Ambassadors?
Each Ambassador is required to be a fully contributing member of the program for a minimum of 2 years. During this time, each Ambassador is expected to participate in all discussions and communicate frequently with fellow Ambassadors and Mentors. This means responsibly completing all delegated tasks, as well as responding promptly to emails, group texts, Skype, etc. Ambassadors are also required to attend every event planned by the BACHAO Ambassadors.
An ideal candidate for the Ambassador program should be responsible, self-motivated, and passionate about community service. They should also have their own email address, and preferably their own cell phone, or regular reliable access to a cell phone. They will also need access to a Skype account.
3. How much of a time commitment is the Ambassador program?
Ambassadors must attend all BACHAO Ambassador events, which occur roughly once every month on the weekends. Additionally, the Ambassadors are expected to meet at least once a month to discuss progress and updates on various ongoing events. These meetings are preferably held in person, but can also be conducted over Skype if necessary. Ambassadors must be self-motivated to fulfil all the tasks required of them between meetings. This can mean spending anywhere from 2-6 hours a week on BACHAO Ambassadors.
4. Where do BACHAO Ambassadors’ meetings and events take place?
Since the Ambassadors are located all over Southern California, our meetings and events are similarly scattered all over to best accommodate everyone’s preferences. We also try to have Ambassadors use Skype to remotely attend meetings when the location is too far for them to attend.
5. How long does an Ambassador remain in the program?
Ambassador terms begin annually in June and last for two years. An Ambassador who joins the program in June 2017 will be expected to be fully committed to the program until June 2019. At the end of 2 years, depending on his or her performance, the Ambassador may be invited to continue on for another 2 years, as determined through a case-by-case review by the BACHAO Mentors.
6. I am interested in applying to be an Ambassador, what dates and information should I keep in mind?
· January 1st, 2017 at 12:00am – Application for the 2017-2019 program opens
· May 7th, 2017 at 11:59pm – Application for the 2017-2019 program closes. Late applications will not be accepted.
· Second and third week of May - Applicants will be contacted by the BACHAO Mentors via email to setup a short phone or Skype interview.
· May 30th, 2017 – Applicants are notified of their status
· Fourth week of June – First meeting of the new Ambassador cycle.
7. How do I apply to be a BACHAO Ambassador?
To be considered for the 2017-2019 program, please fill out the online application, which will be open from January 1st, 2017 to 11:59pm on May 7th, 2017. Late applications will not be accepted, but applicants are welcome to apply again next year. Applications must be filled out by the student. Parents cannot apply for their child.
8. Where can I find out more about the BACHAO Ambassadors’ events?
Visit our facebook page here for the most up-to-date information about upcoming events! Feel free to also follow the BACHAO Ambassadors on:
9. I still have questions, who should I contact?